From Darkness to Light
Join us on the first Sunday of Advent as the Cathedral is transformed gradually from darkness to become bathed in light.
Enjoy our spectacular service to mark the start of the Advent season.
At the beginning of the service, our entire building is in total darkness. The Cathedral is gradually lit as a procession, accompanied by music, slowly makes its way from Well at the west end towards the east end of the Cathedral.
When the procession finally reaches the east end and the Altar; our stunning building is suffused in light.
Please note, to allow us to conduct this service safely, you are required to be seated by 17:20. If you arrive after this time, you will not be admitted until the service is partway through. We will also have a professional photographer taking photos at the beginning of this event, so please let them know if you do not wish to be photographed.
- Free entry, no booking required
- Everyone welcome
- Entrance to the service is through the Giles Gilbert Scott Suite
- Cathedral doors open at 16:30
- Limited free parking
- Bell Ringing will take place before the service from 4 pm to 5:30 pm
- To keep our people and other visitors safe, you must wear a face-covering while you are in the Cathedral unless you are exempt.